On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 the following weather related closures are in effect for the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- MP 355, NC Rt. 128 at Mt Mitchell State Park to MP 375, NC Rt. 694 at Bull Gap (Ox Creek Road).
- MP 423, NC 215 at Beech Gap to MP 443, US Rt. 74/23 at Balsam Gap
- Additional weather related openings and closures are expected. For latest road closure information call 828.298.0398.
- Most Parkway facilities are closed for the season and will re-open in May 2012. The Peaks of Otter Lodge & Restaurant is open year round. The Museum of North Carolina Minerals near Spruce Pine, NC (Milepost 331), and in Asheville, NC the Folk Art Center (Milepost 382) and the Parkway Visitor Center (Milepost 384) are year round facilities.
- MILEPOST 232 – 237 – The Blue Ridge Parkway will be closed to all traffic from Milepost 232 at Stone Mountain Overlook to Milepost 237 at Air Bellows Gap beginning July 15, 2011 and continuing until the summer of 2012. This closure is due to the reconstruction of the Parkway’s 32,000 linear feet of historic rock masonry walls in that section. Detour traffic signage will direct Parkway visitors around the closed area via US Highway 21 and NC Route 18 through Laurel Springs and Sparta. Click here for a map of the detour.
- MILEPOST 388 – 393 -Beginning on November 1, 2011, and until further notice, the Blue Ridge Parkway will be closed for all visitor use from Milepost 388.3 at US Route 25/Hendersonville Road to Milepost 393.6 at NC Route 191/Brevard Road. This Parkway closure is necessary for contractors to repair deteriorating conditions on the south approach of the bridge over Interstate 26. Repairs are expected to be complete no later than Monday, December 5, 2011. The detour will direct visitors off the Parkway north of the closure at Milepost 384.7 to US Route 74 north, then to I-40 west, then to NC Route 191 south and back to the Parkway at Milepost 393.6 where NC Route 191 passes under. The detour is approximately 11.5 miles long and expected to take approximately 25 minutes to drive. The Parkway will remain open between US Route 74 and US Route 25 for the duration of the project.